b. Main Rotor Tape Installation.
Inadvertent blade deice operation with erosion strips installed can cause blade
(1) Pull the blade deice control circuit breaker and leave it in that position until the blade protection kit installation
strips are removed. Use wire harness tie wrap to prevent circuit breaker engagement.
Deice circuit breaker is located on the pilot overhead circuit breaker panel (aft
circuit breaker panel).
(2) Cleaning. Clean area shown in figure 3-2 with cheesecloth or machinery towel dampened with MEK,
isopropyl alcohol, or denatured alcohol.
(3) Layout and Mask. Layout and mask off main rotor blade for polyurethane tape application as shown in figure
(4) Cut Tape. Cut tape to following dimensions. (Reference table 3-4.)
20 pieces 8" x
8 pieces 8" x
20 pieces 2" x
4 pieces 2" x
Do not sand the bare metal skin of helicopter rotor blades. Sanding bare metal
skin on helicopter rotor blades reduces the structural integrity and fatigue life of
(5) Surface Preparation. Scuff the masked off area with 120 grit sandpaper. Always sand in a spanwise
direction, figure 3-1, sheet 1. Use of power polishing sander is permitted for this procedure.
(6) Cleaning. Wipe the masked area several times with cheesecloth or machinery cloth dampened with MEK,
isopropyl alcohol, or denatured alcohol, then wipe once again with a clean, dry cloth.