(6) Application of Adhesive Promoter. Apply a thin coat of No. 86 adhesive promoter to the area
covered by the first piece of tape, shown in figure 3-12. Allow to dry least five minutes, but not more
than one hour before applying tape. Promoter can extend beyond end of tape. Apply promoter in tape
(7) Tape Application, 8 in. Apply alignment marks to outside of tape in the appropriate position
obtained from figure 3-13 (2 inches from top leading edge or 3 inches from top leading edge). See
(a) Apply 4 additional 36-inch long pieces of 8 in. tape as shown in figure 3-13.
(b) Remove Tuck masking tape.
(8) Tape Application, 2 in. Scuff the 8" wide tape surface with 120 grit sandpaper in area to be
covered by 2-inch wide tape as shown in figure 3-14. Clean tape surface with MEK. Apply tape to blade
with No. 86 promoter as in Step (6).
(9) Install Blades. If removed, install per aircraft -23 TM.
c. Tail Rotor Tape Installation .
(1) Cleaning. Clean area shown in figure 3-15 with cheesecloth or machinery towel dampened
with MEK, isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol.
Some rotor blades may be painted with acrylic lacquer, and MEK can
Adversely affect this paint and the subsequent quality of the erosion
protection. In this case, MEK should not be used as a cleaning agent.
(2) Layout and Mask. Layout and mask off tail rotor for polyurethane tape application as shown in
(3) Cut Tape. Cut 4 pieces of 4 inch wide polyurethane tape 16.5 inches long. (Reference table
Surface preparation and cleaning are the most important steps to
insure proper adhesion.