(12) Repeat Steps (6) through (11) for each blade.
The structure to which the polyurethane protective tape, 3M 8663,
is to be applied should be in recent overhaul or new condition. This
means that repairs have been made and the part has been primed and
painted in accordance with the appropriate technical directive for that
The rotor blade must be smooth. Any dirt inclusions or paint rough-
ness must be sanded off the surface using 400 grit sandpaper. Simply,
the surface should be at least as smooth as you can get it by sanding
with 400 grit sandpaper.
(13) Clean the surface by rinsing with isopropyl alcohol and wiping dry with clean untreated paper
towels or rags.
(14) Using a small clean rag, apply a thin coat of #86A adhesion promoter to the entire area of the
rotor blade that is to be covered with 3M 8663 PPT film. Let the 86A dry 15 minutes, prior to application
of 3M 8663 PPT film.
(15) Cut a sheet of 8663 polyurethane protective tape (PPT) to the size of the area to be covered
leaving a margin of 1/8 inch around the perimeter. This margin will later be used for application of the
edge sealant around the perimeter of the PPT sheet.
(16) Prepare a "wetting" solution as follows: To a pint sized spray bottle, add 2 drops of liquid
dishwashing detergent and 1/2 cup of isopropyl alcohol and fill the bottle with clean water. (The actual
mixture is: 75% water, 25% isopropyl alcohol and 2 drops of liquid dishwashing detergent per one liter
(17) Remove the liner from the sheet of PPT. Liberally spray the adhesive side with "wetting
solution" that was prepared in step #4 above. Also spray the surface of the part to which the PPT is to
(18) Carefully position the PPT on the part. Use a plastic squeegee, starting at the middle of the
sheet, and remove the wetting solution from beneath the PPT sheet, by using long overlapping strokes.
If you should trap an air bubble, lift an edge to allow the bubble to be removed. When the edge is lifted,
respray with more "wetting solution" to insure that no air is trapped under the PPT. Use a clean rag to
mop up the excess water solution at the edges to prevent the water solution from "wicking" back under
(19) Inspect the installation for lack or air or water bubbles. It is permissible to remove a few
small "blisters" by piercing them with a hypodermic needle, and pressing on the bubble to exclude the
For a neat job, use masking tape to mask the topside of the PPT sheet
1/32 inch inside the perimeter of the edge.