Figure 9-5. Landing Gear Shock Strut of the
Metering Tube Type
(4) If the air valve is equipped with a valve
core, release any air pressure that may be trapped
between the valve core and the valve seat by
depressing the valve core.
(5) Remove the valve core.
(6) Release the air pressure In the strut by
slowly turning the swivel nut counterclockwise.
(7) Ensure that the shock strut compresses as
the air pressure is released. In some cases, it may be
necessary to rock the aircraft after deflating to ensure
compression of the strut.
(8) When the strut is fully compressed, the air
valve assembly may be removed.
(9) Fill the strut to the level of the air valve
opening with an approved type of hydraulic fluid.
Figure 9-6. Shock Strut Operation