O-rings and packings removed from disassembled equipment must be discarded in
exceptional circumstances, engineering approval may be granted to reuse O-rings
and packings. Requests must be made to AVSCOM, AMSAV-E for consideration.
Use MS dash numbers to determine correct applications for O-ring packings and
(5) O-ring packings and gaskets MS28775. These are designed to operate in the temperature range of -65 to
275°F (-54 to 135°C). They are used on the moving parts of an assembly.
(6) O-ring packings and gaskets MS28775. These are designed to operate in the temperature range of -65 to
275°F (-54 to 135°C). They are used to seal non-moving components.
(7) V-ring packings AN6225. These are designed to operate in the temperature range of -65 to 160 °F (-54 to 71
°C). They are used on the moving parts of an assembly.
(8) O-ring gaskets MS28778. These are used as a compression-type seal on a straight-threaded, flared-tube,
connection fitting where a temperature range of -65 to 158 °F (-54 to 70°C) is required.
Gasket and Packing Identification. Identification of gasket and packing material is shown in table 3-3 and the
(1) Synthetic rubber and cork gasket material MIL-C-6183. Sheet material is identified by color, class, grade,
manufacturer's identification, and symbol of main components. Molded shapes are marked with a dot or stripe. Red
indicates aromatic fuel-resistant material and white indicates oil-resistant material.
(2) Synthetic rubber gasket material MIL-R- 6855. Sheet and strip materials are marked with the appropriate
color in 3/8-inch high characters to show class, grade, and manufacturer's identification or compound number.
Extrusions and tubing are marked with the appropriate color once every 6 inches or at least twice on small pieces.
Molded shapes are marked with the proper symbol in the appropriate color on each piece, and by part number when
required. Small parts are marked with the proper colored dot or stripe on the edges. Red indicates fuel-resistant. White
indicates oil-resistant. Blue indicates non-oil-resistant. White and green indicates oil-resistant for use in contact with
acrylic plastic. Blue and green indicates non-oil-resistant for use in contact with acrylic plastic.
(3) Cork sheet and gasket material Federal Specification HH-C-576. This cork composition is available in sheet
and gasket, which is identified by markings on shipping containers.
(4) Synthetic or natural rubber gasket and packing material Federal Specification HH-G-156
. This material is
identified by marking on shipping containers.
(5) O-ring and V-ring packings and gaskets. O-rings and V-rings are identified by markings on shipping
Storage. Store packings and gaskets in a cool, dark dry place that is protected from excessive heat and
exposure to dampness, dirt, or strong air currents. Do not store in the proximity of electric motors or other equipment
that give off heat and ozone. These items shall be stored and inspected as outlined in paragraph 3-1.
No more than a 3-month supply of synthetic rubber, MIL-R-6855, should be kept in stock.