13. INTERCHANGEABILITY. Series I, II, III, and IV
17. MIL-DTL-38999 SERIES I.
connectors are not interchangeable or intermateable.
18. Series I connectors are scoop proof with bayonet
14. POLARIZATION. Series I, II, III, and IV
coupling, or lanyard release for use where a quick
connectors are polarized as denoted by their part
disconnect coupling system is required in blind or
numbers. This means that the master keyway is rotated
problem mating areas. When equipped with the proper
to prevent mismating of similar connectors in a similar
accessories, these connectors provide high tolerance
to vibration and are suitable for Severe Wind And
mate with' a receptacle with the same letter. The inserts
Moisture Problem (SWAMP) areas.
do not rotate, only the keyway is rotated.
19. PART NUMBER. The part number contains the
15. CONNECTOR ACCESSORIES. Connector
information necessary for the proper selection and
accessories are added to a connector to maintain its
procurement (Figure 1).
operational characteristics. These accessories are
divided into the following base categories:
20. Military Specification. The military specification
will denote the shell style.
21. Class. The class indicates the environment
resisting abilities along with mounting type.
22. Shell Size. The shell size is indicated by a
Dust Caps and Plugs.
operating temperature range.
Gaskets for Flange Mount Receptacles.
24. Insert Arrangement. The insert arrangement is
shown as a number denoting the number and size of
g. M o u n t i n g P l a t e s f o r F l a n g e M o u n t
25. Contact Style. The contact style denotes the type
of contact used.
27. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. The connectors
and accessories are designed and constructed to
Refer to NAVAIR 01-1A-505-1, WP 011 01, for
withstand normal handling during installation and
torque value information on AS85049 connector
28. INSERTS. The entire insert of the environment
16. CONNECTOR ACCESSORY APPLICATION.
resisting assemblies is essentially one integral part
Connector accessories are applied to all connectors to
designed to provide suitable sealing and support
one degree or another. Detailed applications and uses
around the wires, and is non-removable.
are covered in WP 003 03.
29. Rigid Dielectric. The rigid dielectric is one molded
piece or not more than two pieces bonded together.
The design is such that contacts are able to be inserted
and removed to facilitate installation and maintenance
except hermetic receptacles.