be inserted and removed to facilitate installation and
88. MIL-DTL-38999 SERIES III.
maintenance except hermetic receptacles.
89. Series III connectors are scoop proof connectors
101. Contact Locking Device. The contact locking
with a triple start, self locking, threaded coupling
system or with a pull lanyard release. These connectors
devices are contained in the rigid dielectric and
are for general applications where a quick disconnect
securely hold the contacts during normal coupling.
coupling system is required in blind or problem mating
areas. When equipped with the proper accessories
102. Rotation. The inserts are secured in a manner so
these connectors provide high tolerance to vibration
as to prevent rotation or movement.
and are suitable for SWAMP applications.
103. Interface Seal. All pin contact inserts will have a
90. PART NUMBER. The part number contains the
resilient interface seal bonded to the front face to
information necessary for the proper selection and
prevent water intrusion.
procurement (Figure 16).
91. Military Specification. The military specification
material is used to insulate and seal the contacts, and
will denote the shell style and type release.
all pin contacts will have an interface seal. The contacts
are not removable.
92. Class. The class indicates the environment resisting
ability, the type finish and the operating temperature
105. INSERT ARRANGEMENTS. The insert
arrangement is the number and size of the contacts
available by shell size (Table 2).
93. Shell Size. The shell size is indicated by an alpha
code which converts to a progressive number system.
106. INSERT CONFIGURATION. The insert
configuration is the manner in which the contacts are
94. Insert Arrangement. The insert arrangement is
placed within the insert in a standard configuration.
All arrangements identified in Table 2 are illustrated
shown as a number denoting the number of contacts
107. CONTACTS. Contacts may be fixed or crimp
95. Contact Style. The contact style denotes the type
of contact used.
108. Fixed Contacts. Contacts in hermetically sealed
or through-bulkhead receptacle are fixed non-
removable and solder-able, or feed through.
97. Lanyard Length. The letter indicated denotes
109. Crimp Removable Contacts. Crimp removable
lanyard length and can be converted to inches or
contacts may be used with all environment resisting
classes of connectors.
98. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. The connectors
110. Contact Availability. Crimp contacts supplied
and accessories are designed and constructed to
with each connector unit package consists of full
withstand normal handling during installation and
compliment plus 1 spare per size for connectors of 26
contacts or less. Those connectors with more than 26
contacts will have 2 spares of each size used. Contacts
99. INSERTS. The entire insert of the environment
may also be ordered in individual quantities when
resistant assemblies is essentially one integral part
designed to provide suitable sealing and support
around the wires and to be non-removable.
111. Installation and Removal Tools. The proper
installation and removal tools must be used to
100. Rigid Dielectric. The rigid dielectric is one
assemble or disassemble the connector. The connector
molded piece or not more than two pieces bonded
when ordered as a unit package will include one MIL-
together. The design is such that contacts are able to