130. MIL-DTL-38999 SERIES IV.
142. Contact Locking Device. The contact locking
devices are contained in the rigid dielectric and
131. Series IV connectors are circular, scoop proof
securely hold the contacts during normal coupling.
connectors with breech coupling systems for use in
general applications where a quick disconnect
143. Rotation. The inserts are secured in a manner so
coupling system is required in blind or problem areas.
as to prevent rotation or movement.
When equipped with the proper accessories these
connectors provide high tolerance to vibration and are
144. Interface Seal. All pin contact inserts will have a
suitable for SWAMP areas. The coupling mechanism
resilient interface seal bonded to the front face to
must be properly positioned prior to mating the
prevent water intrusion.
145. Hermetic Receptacles. A vitreous or glasslike
132. PART NUMBER. The part number contains the
material is used to insulate and seal the contacts, and
information necessary for the proper selection and
all pin contacts will have an interface seal. The contacts
procurement (Figure 25).
are not removable.
133. Military Specification. The military specification
146. INSERT ARRANGEMENTS. The insert
will denote the shell style.
arrangement is the number and size of the contacts
available by shell size (Table 2).
134. Class. The class indicates the environment
resisting abilities, the composition, and the operating
147. INSERT CONFIGURATION. The insert
configuration is the manner in which the contacts are
placed within the insert in a standard configuration.
135. Shell Size. The shell size is indicated by an alpha
All arrangements identified in Table 2 are illustrated
character and can be converted to a progressive
148. CONTACTS. Contacts may be fixed or crimp
136. Insert Arrangement. The insert arrangement is
shown as a number which denotes the number of
149. Fixed . Contacts in hermetically sealed or
137. Contact Style. The contact style shows which type
and solder-able, or feed through.
of contact used.
150. Crimp Removable Contacts. Crimp removable
contacts may be used with all environment resisting
classes of connectors.
151. Contact Availability. Crimp contacts are supplied
139. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. The
with each connector unit package and consist of a full
connectors and accessories are designed and
compliment plus 1 spare per size for connectors of 26
constructed to withstand normal handling during
contacts or less. Those connectors with more than 26
installation and maintenance.
contacts will have 2 spares of each size used. Contacts
may also be ordered in individual quantities when
140. INSERTS. The insert of the environment resistant
assemblies is essentially one integral part designed to
provide suitable sealing and support around the wires
152. Installation and Removal Tools. The proper
and is non-removable.
installation and removal tools must be used to
assemble or disassemble the connector. The connector
141. Rigid Dielectric. The rigid dielectric is one
when ordered as a unit package will include one MIL-
molded piece or not more than two pieces bonded
together. The design is such that contacts are able to
be inserted and removed to facilitate installation and
maintenance except hermetic receptacles.