Figure 5. MIL-C-83723 Series III Keying Positions
27. Moisture Sealing. Complete sealing is achieved by
placed within the insert in a standard configuration.
combining four seals, shell, peripheral, interfacial, and
All arrangements identified in Table 1 are illustrated
28. Shell Seal. This seal is effected when plug shell
36. CONTACTS. Contacts are designed to prevent
pushes against sealing ring in receptacle when
damage to contact retention device or sealing member
connectors are mated.
during insertion or removal of contacts.
29. Peripheral Seal. This seal is around the edge of pin
37. Fixed Contacts. Contact in hermetically sealed or
insulator and designed so that when mating the
connector, tension is put on seal and greatly reduces
and solder-able, or feed through.
38. Crimp Removable Contacts. Crimp removable
30. Interfacial Seal. This seal is achieved by insulator
contacts may be used with all environment resisting
faces meeting when plug and receptacle are mated.
classes of connectors.
31. Wire Seal. This seal is accomplished by a multiple
39. Contact Availability. Crimp contacts are supplied
ripple design, exceeding the wire sealing requirement
with each connector unit package and consist of a full
complement plus one spare per size for connectors of
26 contacts or less. Connectors with more than 26
32. Insert Retention. Insert retention is accomplished
contacts will have two spares of each size used. Contacts
by a hard plastic wafer firmly locked into a groove in
may also be ordered in individual quantities when
shell and a strong adhesive bond between insert and
40. Installation and Removal Tools. The proper
33. Keying. Keying is used in shell-enclosed connectors
installation and removal tools must be used to assemble
or disassemble connector. The connector when ordered
when mating a connector (Figure 5).
as a unit package will include one MIL-I-81969/14 tool.
34. INSERT ARRANGEMENT. The insert arrangement
41. CONTACT APPLICATION. Contacts used in Series
is number and size of contacts available by shell size
III connectors are manufactured in accordance with
(Table 1). Series III insert arrangements are specified in
AS39029. The contact part number breakdown is
illustrated (Figure 7). The Basic Identification Number
(BIN) or last three digits of contact part number, matches
35. I N S E R T C O N F I G U R A T I O N . T h e i n s e r t
standard resistor color code (Figure 8).
configuration is the manner in which contacts are