20. CONNECTOR ACCESSORIES CRIMP RELEASE
boot adapter is used to secure shrink boot to connector
and prevent entry of moisture into connector
21. Connector accessories to maintain operational
characteristics for crimp release (front and rear) contacts
27. E N V I R O N M E N T A L
are divided into the following categories:
environmental backshell is a device that provides
protection from moisture, dirt, air, or dust which may
reduce performance of unit. Environmental backshells
do not provide protection from non-physical
Cable Clamps/Strain Reliefs.
environments such as RF and Radiation (Figures 22,
23, 24 and 25).
Shrink Boots and Adapters.
28. EMI/RFI GROUNDING TERMINATORS. EMI/
RFI grounding terminators are used to ground or shield
a connector to reduce the electromagnetic radiation
EMI/RFI Grounding Terminators.
A physical and electrical shield is employed to terminate
Non-Environmental EMI/RFI Backshells.
a cable assembly to a ground or some other
predetermined point with respect to ground. Shields
Environmental EMI/RFI Backshells.
can be applied to individual wires, cables, bundles or
harnesses (Figures 26 and 27).
29. N O N - E N V I R O N M E N T A L E M I / R F I B A C K -
SHELL. A non-environmental EMI/RFI backshell is an
attachment on the rear of a connector that does not
protect against moisture, dust, and dirt but does pro-
vide EMI/RFI protection (Figures 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and
Gasket for Flange Mount Receptacles.
Mounting Nuts for Jam Nut Receptacles.
30. ENVIRONMENTAL EMI/RFI BACKSHELL.
Environmental EMI/RFI backshells are used when
moisture entry and EMI/RFI protection is needed
(Figures 34, 35, 36 and 37).
31. CONDUIT FITTINGS. Conduit fittings are used to
22. GROMMET NUTS. The grommet nut is a threaded
connect a conduit to a connector and may be either a
ring nut utilized to securely hold connector grommet
ferrule, nut, adapter, box fitting, 45° elbow, 90° elbow,
in place (Figure 14).
hex nut, seal assemblies, or Y fittings (Figure 38).
23. CABLE CLAMPS/STRAIN RELIEFS. The following
32. DUMMY RECEPTACLES. Dummy receptacles are
two paragraphs explain the two types of cable support
provided and used to stow unmated plugs, caps, or
or clamping devices.
protective covers when related component is not in
operational use. The dummy receptacles shall be
24. Cable Clamps. A cable clamp is a support or
marked and located to permit easy access (Figure 39).
clamping device which requires use of an intermediate
component for attachment to back of connector.
33. DUST CAPS. Protective covers are more commonly
called dust caps. The purpose of dust caps is to prevent
25. Strain Reliefs. A strain relief is a support or clamping
dirt from entering connectors, pins, and sockets and to
device which attaches directly to connector (Figures 15,
prevent coupling device from damage (Figure 40).
16, 17, 18, 19 and 20).
26. SHRINK BOOTS AND ADAPTERS. Shrink boots
are protective coverings over wire or connector in
between the receptacle flange and mounting structure
addition to the normal jacket or insulation. The shrink