Figure 6. MIL-C-81703 Series 2 Part Number Breakdown
53. Wire Seal. This seal is accomplished by a multiple
47. Contact Extraction. Extraction is accomplished with
ripple design, exceeding wire sealing requirements of
a front release removal tool which expands the tines
beyond the contact shoulder, releasing the contact.
54. Insert Retention. Insert retention is accomplished
48. Contact Retaining Clip. The contact retaining clip is
by a hard plastic wafer firmly locked into a groove in
completely encased in a tough plastic wafer to protect
the shell and a strong adhesive bond between the insert
clip from damage.
49. Moisture Sealing. A silicone interfacial seal wafer is
55. Keying. Keying is used in shell-enclosed connectors
featured on the mating face of pin inserts. This ensures
complete electrical isolation of the pins when connector
when mating a connector (Figure 4).
halves are mated. In addition, a silicone main joint
gasket is installed in the receptacles for moisture sealing
56. CONTACTS. Contacts are designed to prevent
between connector halves. A silicone grommet provides
damage to contact retention device or sealing member
moisture sealing of wires at the rear of the connector.
during insertion or removal of contacts.
Complete sealing is achieved by combining four seals,
shell, peripheral, interfacial, and wire seals.
57. Crimp Removable Contacts. Crimp removable
contacts may be used with all environment resisting
50. Shell Seal. This seal is effected when plug shell
classes of connectors.
pushes against sealing ring in receptacle when
connectors are mated.
58. Contact Availability. Crimp contacts are supplied
with each connector unit package and consist of a full
51. Peripheral Seal. This seal is around the edge of pin
complement plus one spare per size for connectors of 26
insulator and is designed so that when mating connector,
contacts or less. Connectors with more than 26 contacts
tension is put on seal and greatly reduces compression
will have spares of each size used. Contacts may also be
ordered in individual quantities when necessary.
52. Interfacial Seal. This seal is achieved by the insulator
faces meeting when plug and receptacle are mated.