1 September 2011
17. Moisture Sealing. Complete sealing is achieved
given size and design manufactured by one qualified
by combining four seals, shell, peripheral, interfacial,
source will be capable of mating associated plugs
and wire seal.
manufactured by other qualified sources. The
18. Shell Seal. This seal is accomplished when plug
connector assemblies having the same part number
shell pushes against sealing ring in receptacle when
will be directly and completely interchangeable with
connectors are mated.
each other with respect to installation and
19. Peripheral Seal. This seal is around the edge of a
pin insulator and designed so that when mating the
10. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. The
connector, tension is put on seal and greatly reduces
connectors and accessories are designed and
constructed to withstand normal handling incidental
to installation and maintenance.
20. Interfacial Seal. This seal is achieved by
insulator faces meeting when the plug and receptacle
11. INSERTS. The resilient and nonresilient
material used for all inserts shall be a high grade
dielectric having electrical and mechanical
21. Wire Seal. This seal is accomplished by a
characteristics suitable for the purpose intended. The
multiple ripple design, exceeding wire sealing
impact strength shall be such that material shall not
requirements of SAE AS81659.
chip, crack, or break during assembly or normal
22. Keying. Keying is used in shell-enclosed
12. Crimp Snap-in Contacts. Snap-in contacts
designed to SAE AS39029 can be crimped with
correct location when mating a connector (Figure 3).
standard M22520/ crimp tool.
23. INSERT ARRANGEMENTS. The insert
13. Closed-Entry Socket Contacts. These contacts
arrangement is the number and size of the contacts
eliminate damage from abuse by test probes and help
available by shell size (Table 3).
to correct any misaligned pins during engagement.
24. INSERT CONFIGURATION. The insert
14. Contact Insertion. Insertion is accomplished
configuration is the manner in which contacts are
from rear of connector. When contact is fully
placed within insert in a standard configuration. All
inserted, the clip tines snap securely behind contact
arrangements identified in Table 3 are illustrated
15. Contact Extraction. Extraction is accomplished
25. CONTACTS. Contacts are designed to prevent
with use of a removal tool.
damaged contact retention device or sealing member
during insertion or removal of contacts.
16. Contact Retaining Clip. The contact retaining
clip is completely encased in a tough plastic wafer to
protect clip from damage.