1 September 2011
Class 1: -65°F (-65°C) To +257°F (+125°C) Operating Temperature, Material: Aluminum, Cadmium Plated
Class 2: -85°F (-65°C) Lo +392°F (+200°C) Operating Temperature, Material: Aluminum, Electroless Nickel
A - Keystone Insert Configuration.
B - Rectangular Insert Configuration.
1- Front Release Contacts.
2 - Rear Release Contacts.
Figure 9. SAE AS81659 Series 2 Part Number Breakdown (Sheet 2)
40. PART NUMBER. The following paragraphs
48. INSERTS: The resilient and non-resilient
contain information necessary for proper selection
material used for all inserts shall be a high grade
and procurement of connector (Figure 9).
dielectric having electrical and mechanical
41. Military Specification. The military specification
characteristics suitable for the purpose intended. The
denotes military standard.
impact strength shall be such that material shall not
chip, crack, or break during assembly or normal
42. Specification Sheet. The specification sheet will
denote how many inserts, environmental, non-
49. Crimp Snap-In Contacts. Snap-in contacts
environmental and type of class.
designed to SAE AS39029 can be crimped with
43. Shell Designation. The shell designation will
standard M22520/ crimp tool.
consist of a letter identifying a keystone or
50. Closed-Entry Socket Contacts. These contacts
eliminate damage from abuse by test probes and help
44. Series Designation. The series designation will
to correct any misaligned pins during engagement.
consist of a one digit number to determine front or
51. Contact Insertion. Insertion is accomplished from
rear release contacts.
rear of connector. When contact is fully inserted, the
45. Insert Designation. The insert designation shall
clip tines snap securely behind contact shoulders.
consist of a four digit number (Table 2, Figure 2).
52. Contact Extraction. Extraction is accomplished
with use of a removal tool.
given size and design manufactured by one qualified
53. Contact Retaining Clip. The contact retaining
source will be capable of mating associated plugs
clip is completely encased in a tough plastic wafer to
manufactured by other qualified sources. The
protect clip from damage.
connector assemblies having the same part number
will be directly and completely interchangeable with
54. Moisture Sealing. Complete sealing is achieved
each other with respect to installation and
by combining four seals, shell, peripheral, interfacial,
and wire seal.
47. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. The
55. Shell Seal. This seal is affected when plug shell
connectors and accessories are designed and
pushes against sealing ring in receptacle when
constructed to withstand normal handling incidental
connectors are mated.
to installation and maintenance.