1 September 2011
together, designed to provide suitable sealing and
support around wires. The insert is designed to provide
As all NAVAIR connector and accessory
positive locking of individual contacts.
documents are transitioned to non-
19. Crimp Snap-In Contacts. Snap-in contacts
government standards, (the Society of
designed to SAE AS39029 can be crimped with
Automotive Engineers (SAE), will become
standard M22520 crimp tools.
the preparing activity and the Navy will adopt
the documents), the drawing number prefix
20. Closed-Entry Socket Contacts. These contacts
will change from MS to AS. The main part
eliminate damage from abuse by test probes and help to
number designation remains the same, with
correct any misaligned pins during engagement.
the "M" prefix, such as M81511/17-08. At
times the entire item may be superseded by
21. Contact Insertion. Insertion is accomplished from
There are many cases where
rear of connector. When contact is fully inserted, the
documents have been cancelled without
clip tines snap securely behind contact shoulders.
replacements, each case was reviewed and
some information has been retained in this
22. Contact Extraction. Extraction is accomplished
volume "for reference use only".
with use of a removal tool.
12. Military Designation. The military designation is
23. Contact Retaining Clip. The contact retaining clip
denoted by the letter "M".
is completely encased in a tough plastic wafer to
13. Specification Sheet Number. The specification
protect clip from damage.
number sheet denotes the shell style.
24. Moisture Sealing. Complete sealing is achieved by
14. Class. The class indicates the environment
combining four seals, shell, peripheral, interfacial, and
15. Shell Size. The shell size is indicated by a letter,
25. Shell Seal. This seal is affected when plug shell
A or B.
pushes against sealing ring in receptacle when
connectors are mated.
16. Insert Configuration. The insert configuration
26. Peripheral Seal. This seal is around the edge of pin
denotes service rating and number of contacts.
insulator and designed so that when mating the
17. DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. Connectors
connector, tension is put on seal and greatly reduces
and accessories are designed and constructed to
withstand normal handling incidental to installation and
27. Interfacial Seal. This seal is achieved by insulator
faces meeting when the plug and receptacle are mated.
18. INSERTS. The inserts are non-removable,
28. Wire Seal. This seal is accomplished by a multiple
mechanically retained and bonded in the shell. The
ripple design, exceeding wire sealing requirements of
insert and wire sealing members are essentially one
integral part, consisting of one or more parts bonded