1 September 2011
9. CABLE CLAMPS/STRAIN RELIEFS. The
following two paragraphs explain the two types of
cable support or clamping devices.
10. Cable Clamps. A cable clamp is a support or
clamping device which requires use of an
intermediate component for attachment to back of
connector (Figure 1).
11. Strain Reliefs. A strain relief is a support or
clamping device which attaches directly to connector
12. DUST CAPS. Protective covers are more
commonly called dust caps. The purpose of dust caps
Figure 1. Non-Environmental Backshells
is to prevent dirt from entering connectors, pin and
sockets and to protect coupling device from damage
13. SEALING PLUGS. Sealing plugs are used
where unwired contacts are placed to maintain
according to contact size (Figure 3).
14. SPRING MOUNT ASSEMBLY. Spring mount
assemblies are used to mount the connector in a
Figure 2. Dust Caps
floating position (Figure 4).