(14) A limited test flight may be required to verify or
duplicate and determine cause/corrective action for an in-flight
fault that cannot be resolved through troubleshooting procedures,
visual, and/or an MOC.
Not all maintenance functions require a test flight.
the following conditions do not require a test flight.
(1) When a nonadjustable secondary or redundant flight control,
flight control surface, or component has been replaced or removed and
reinstalled and it requires no rigging or adjustment by the
applicable aircraft maintenance manual.
(2) The reinstallation of any adjustable flight control
component or item except main or tail rotor blades within the flight
control system in the same location on the same aircraft; providing,
that no adjustable linkage or settings have been disturbed.
(3) When hardware (bolts, nuts, washers) have been removed,
reinstalled, or replaced in the flight control linkage, with no
adjustment required (all aircraft).
(4) The replacement or reinstallation of driveshafts or hanger
(5) When a "setscrew" adjustment of the high (takeoff) RPM
setting is made on one engine of a multi-engine fixed wing aircraft.
However, a static propeller run-up to the point of prop governor
"catch" and a high-speed taxi check to the point of takeoff are
(6) When the engine low idle adjustment is made and a ground
engine run is performed.
(7) Removal and replacement of inspection plates, cover screens,
or fairings, for the purpose of gaining access to an area in order to
accomplish an inspection does not constitute the need to conduct a
When required, a technical inspection and MOC will be
3-3. Maintenance Test Flight Accomplishment.
To be sure that test
flights are properly conducted, only aviators that are Aircraft
Maintenance Test Flight Course graduates, or have qualified as stated
below, will be selected to perform maintenance test flights.
pilots must meet the requirements of AR 95-1, Flight Regulations,
before being appointed by the Unit Commander as "Maintenance Test
Pilots" for a specific mission, type design, and series aircraft.
Maintenance test flights will be accomplished with assistance as
necessary from the most proficient flight crew available; such as,