ILLUSTRATED FIELD MANUFACTURE ITEMS LIST
A. This appendix contains complete instructions for manufacturing nondestructive inspection
support accessories in the field.
B. An index order is provided for cross-referencing the number of the item to be manufactured to
the figure number which covers fabrication criteria.
C. All bulk materials needed for manufacture of an item are listed by part number or specification number
Test block with aluminum honeycomb (0.75 or 1.0 inch) between 0.020
Test block with aluminum honeycomb (0.75 or 1.0 inch) between a 0.040
aluminum skin and a 0.020 skin
1. All dimensions (+/-) 1/16 inch. Break all sharp edges and corners.
2. Scuff sand the adhesive side of the fiberglass panel.
3. Scotchbrite scuff and alcohol/acetone rinse the adhesive side of the aluminum panels.
4. Milling or grinding of core cutouts is preferable over crushing techniques. A rotary file or
end mill cutter should produce acceptable results.
5. Polyolefin disks (inserts) should be flush with core if not slightly recessed.
6. Mix adhesives per manufacturer's instructions; exercise caution applying around inserts.
7. Moderate weight should be applied to the panels throughout the cure cycle.
1. 2024-T3 aluminum panels (0.020, 0.040 and 0.063 inch thick) specification QQ-4-250/5
2. Fiberglass panel 0.020 inch thick, specification MIL-I-24768/27
3. Aluminum honeycomb core 0.75 or 1.0 inch thick, 1/8 cell size specification MIL-C-7438-G
4. Polyolefin disks 0.025-0.030 inch thick (High-Density Polyethylene or Polypropylene)
5. Adhesive EA934 or equivalent