SYSTEM ASSEMBLY AND PREPARATION FOR USE (Continued)
AAFARS fuel hoses are not supplied with scuff jackets. Therefore, hose handling
directly affects the useful life of the hose. Do not drag hoses over an improved or
abrasive surface. To the extent possible, hoses should be rolled and unrolled during
setup or evacuation to prevent abrasion.
One 3" x 100' discharge hose has a 3" coupling on one end and a 2" coupling on the
other. This is the only hose in the system that can only be laid out one way.
19. On the 3" x 2" x 100' discharge hose (12), identify the 3" unisex coupling and connect the discharge hose to the 3"
valved unisex coupling of the recirculation manifold. Open unisex coupling valves on recirculation manifold and
20. Using the remaining 3" x 100' (13), 2" x 100" (14) and 2" x 50' discharge hoses (15), elbow (16) and tees (17) as
required, lay out discharge hoses to the selected fueling points as diagrammed on the accessory module control box
cover. Open all unisex coupling valves as connections are made.
21. Establish recirculation path.
At the fuel drums (2), connect two suction hoses (6) to non-valved couplings (3) mounted on the inlet of the 2 inner
Connect the suction hoses (6) to a wye fitting (18). Open 2" unisex coupling valves on wye fitting and suction
Connect a unisex cross fitting (19) to the free leg of the wye fitting (18). Open 2" unisex coupling valve at wye-
Connect a 2" x 12' discharge hose (20) to the cross fitting (19) and the non-valved unisex coupling (3) mounted on
the inlets of the two outer fuel drums. Open unisex coupling valves at cross discharge hose connections.
Two recirculation paths are available for use. RECIRC 1 limits flow to 5 gpm from the
recirculation manifold (RECIRC 1 is normal recirculation path during fueling operations).
RECIRC 2 allows full flow. The supervisor must select a method based on mission requirements.
22. Connect a 2" x 50' discharge hose (21) between the cross fitting (19) and RECIRC 1 coupler (22) or RECIRC 2 coupler
(23) on the recirculation manifold. Open 2" unisex coupling valves at each connection.
23. Open fuel drum inlet elbow valve couplings (3) and 2" unisex valve coupling and discharge hose.
24. Drive a grounding rod between the pump-engine module (5), accessory module (8) and the liquid fuel filter-separator (7)
for grounding AAFARS.
25. Connect the pump-engine module (5), accessory module (8) and liquid fuel filter-separator (7) grounding cables to the
26. Position a fire extinguisher at each fueling point and pump-engine module (5).